Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sunday Selections - Mt Wellington, Tasmania


My fifth blog for Frogpondsrock 's Sunday Selections! Go and check out hers and all the others linked there!

Mt Wellington is the 1271 meter peak that rises above the city of Hobart, Tasmania. Known as kunanyi by the indigenous aboriginal population, or more commonly as 'The Mountain' by locals, Mt Wellington is now a large park managed by the Wellington Park Trust.  It is almost impossible to have a photo of Hobart that does not feature the mountain in some form. This photo shows the mountain with the iconic Organ Pipes, a dolerite formation on the face of the mountain. 
































And this side on view taken half way up the mountain near a location known as "the Springs"















The mountain is accessed by a single, winding road the leads to the summit, and there are numerous walking tracks and fire trails that criss-cross the mountain.

Many of the tracks cross over some of the large boulder fields that have formed on the mountain. Many of these boulder fields are visible from the city, although the scale of them does not become apaprent until you walk through them. 

They are impressive in either this form..

















or in their winter form, covered in snow.





















The mountain also has many streams and waterfalls, most in the foothills that are within easy, short walking distance.  Silver falls is on the pipeline track





















and more impressive after rain is Myrtle Gully falls just north of the Cascade Brewery





























and the stream downhill from the falls..





























The summit or Pinnacle to the locals is a popular spot for tourists and locals alike and has several viewing platforms and an enclosed viewing room which offers spectacular views of the Hobart area and surrounds.






































One of the popular tracks that tourists take to walk to the pinnacle is the zig zag track which leads directly up the face of the mountain. I find it offers a more challenging walk to take down the mountain, particularly when covered in snow and ice..






























My personal favourite track is the ice house track. As the name might suggest, this track was historically used to transport ice down the mountain to the young city of Hobart. Once you make it up the side if the mountain you find yourself on the plateau which allows 360 degree views.













8 comments:

  1. I really love the Myrtle Gully photos. Areas like that often appear in my dreams. Rainforest type plants and waterfalls, streams, I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaah "The Mountain". She is firmly embedded in the psyche of all southern Tasmanians. One of the hardest things for me was moving away from the mountain. I really struggled for a few years with not being able to see her every day. I am fine now but my heart still gives a lift every time I drive down off my small mountain and I can see "The mountain" Thankyou so very much Marc :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The streams and waterfalls of the mountain are very inviting indeed...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved visiting Tasmania. I love these photos. They bring back beautiful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live metres from the beach and I'd give it up in a heartbeat to be back in the mountains. Thanks for sharing these photos Marc, I'm determined to visit Tassie one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those waterfalls. Like rainbows, they have something magical ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOveD this!!Very incredible..what a treat for you to have gone there and what a gift you have for taking photos. Loved the creek shot and how the water looked so soft~
    KK

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful place!!

    I particularly love the shot at a low angle showing all the boulders on the side of the mountain and the low cloud. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete