Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sunday Selections - More Mt Wellington

My sixth blog for Frogpondsrock 's Sunday Selections! Go and check out hers and all the others linked there!


Last week my Sunday Selection post on Mt Wellington featured many images of the mountain, but there were still many in my collection so today I will add a few more.


Huts


The mountain has a number of stone buildings. Most of these buildings were constructed after bushfires that devastated the area in 1912. Information on the large number of recreational huts that existed prior to the 1912 bushfires can be found here.


The Chalet - Beside the road to the pinnacle, this is a great resting place for many of the walks on the mountain, and is the starting point for the organ pipes track.
























Rock Cabin - beside the Lenah Valley track that starts at The Springs
















 









Lone cabin is a short walk off the Lenah Valley Track























Junction Cabin - as the name might imply, Junction Cabin is located at the junction of a number of tracks. About 6 tracks converge here, and I have often found walkers camping in the area as a base for the mountain treks. This cabin has BBQ facilities

















Some rock formations on the plateau of Mt Wellington














 





Some of the native flowers

















 






Some snow on rocks on the Organ Pipes track I thought looked nice






























Hobart from the snow covered summit

















 







a View of The Organ Pipes and Summit from Sphynx Rock















 














Another view



 






And my view of Mt Wellington, from my front door





 










And finally this photo also taken from my front door last week, in Summer here in Tasmania







































7 comments:

  1. It's just so beautiful and pristine. I loved Tassie when I visited, and really want to go back!
    @jodie_anderson_

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaah our beautiful Mountain. you have done her justice Marc. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is quite a view to have from your front door! Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous. I do like Tassie. The GOFA and I both thought we would enjoy the rustic, slower pace of life there. A total contrast to the frenetic pace of Sydney. Perhaps some day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, nice view from your front door. The scenery is just magical, I like the rock formations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaaaaaah, just gorgeous! Love the summit shots and the snow! For a moment I thought you were going to show me Mt Wellington in Auckland but of course not. Not sure I'd call that one more than a hill compared to yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, such a beautiful landscape...And the snow on the summit with the clouds right at your eye level...Amazing!

    ReplyDelete