Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Hong Kong Food!

Last year My Sister, Brother and I shouted my mother an overseas trip for her 60th Birthday. It was to be her first ever international trip. As a frequent traveller (and originator of the whole idea) I was given the task of organising the destinations, and acting as tour guide to my mother, her partner and my brother. The destinations picked (flying Air Asia x) were Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur and Penang), Singapore and Hong Kong.  Hong Kong was certainly the pick of destinations and the food was certainly a highlight!

Breakfast was often at a very busy but great cafe 5 mins walk from the hotel. They were very friendly and the meals were incredibly cheap. They also had some westernish dishes.

Here are some dodgy phone photos of Hainanese chicken, A western breakfeast of eggs and bacon my mother got stuck into and satay beef noodles I had one visit for brekky!



Early one day I dragged the group over to Hong Kong Island and up a hill under the mid level escalators, which work one way, being downhill early in the day to bring workers into the city. On my last visit I had developed an addiction to fresh egg tarts, and I was keen to try them from what was reputedly the best source in Hong Kong: Tai Cheong Bakery. The smell of the freshly baking egg tarts filled the street, and after sampling one each, we made off with a take away order! Devine!!

Leaving the bakery we stumbled upon the Central District Wet Market. The wet market was the equivalent of our supermarket and had everything from fruit and veg to hardware and flowers. It was a great introduction to the local culture as this is how things have been sold for centuries. Meats of all types were butchered and hung in the open, and fish were either alive in buckets or freshly killed and laid out on tables.



Some meats were cooked, either by roasting or boiling, as is the case with this large container of intestines!



Other Foods it was a bit hard to tell. I'm not sure of the intended use of this cage full of live frogs. I never saw frogs legs on a menu..

Close by the locals were busy making the days Tofu


And offering an astonishing range of fruit and veg 


The food that we just kept going back for more of was the roast meats: Duck, pork and chicken. Either whole pieces or chopped and served with rice. The ducks below are priced in Hong Kong Dollars. For comparison, HK$110 is about $15 Australian dollars!




Last but certainly not least, were the dumplings. Divine mouthfuls of flavour. 



1 comment: